Today I’m chatting with Jessica Luther, author of the book Unsportsmanlike Conduct: College Football and the Politics of Rape. She’s also one of the hosts of the feminist sports podcast Burn It All Down. Jessica’s writing covers the intersection of sports and sexual and gendered violence. I’ve been following Jessica on Twitter for a very long time, as we connected over loving the romance genre years ago. Since then, her career has been incredible, and I was so happy she was willing to talk about it with me.
Among the topics we discuss:
- The reasons she initially concealed her identity on Twitter, and her decisions to write under her own name.
- Her experience as a writer who has become a visible public face leading the reframing of sexual assault, sports, and women’s rights.
- Being witness to history during Wendy Davis’ historic filibuster in the Texas state capitol in the summer of 2013.
- The power of Twitter and live social media in connecting people instantly and personally during events around the world, turning us all into witnesses.
- Knowing when to step away
- How romance fiction keeps her going when writing, researching, and covering such painful, difficult but vitally important topics.
And of course, she recommends books because romance fans are the greatest of people.
CW: from 40:05 – 51:47 we are discussing of sexual violence and suicide in football, and the results of her research into behind-the-scenes accounts of assault and sexual, gendered violence in college and professional sports.
Here are the books we discuss in this podcast:
You can find Jessica Luther in the following excellent locations:
- Her website, JessicaWLuther.com
- Her clips page which contains extraordinary good reading
- At the Burn It All Down feminist sports podcast
- On Twitter @JessicaWLuther
- And, for baked goods and other images, on Instagram @JessicaWLuther
Join us for a Live Podcast Recording at RWA!
Friday July 20, 2018, at 4:40 pm in Tower Court B of the Sheraton Downtown Denver during the RWA National Convention, I’ll be hosting a live taping of the podcast.
We’ll be playing silly games and indulging in late afternoon mayhem for the live recording of the show, and we’ll need people to volunteer to play Cards Against Romance Tropes. I hope you’ll join us!
Thanks to our sponsors:
More ways to sponsor:
What did you think of today’s episode? Got ideas? Suggestions? You can talk to us on the blog entries for the podcast or talk to us on Facebook if that’s where you hang out online. You can email us at [email protected] or you can call and leave us a message at our Google voice number: 201-371-3272. Please don’t forget to give us a name and where you’re calling from so we can work your message into an upcoming podcast.
Thanks for listening!
This Episode’s Music
We’ve been playing tracks from the Peatbog Fairies’ live album, Live @ 25, and it is seriously fun.
This is Jakes on a Plane by the Peatbog Faeries.
And you can learn more about the Peatbog Faeries at their website, PeatbogFaeries.com.
Today’s podcast is sponsored by Rogue Souls by Chelsea Mueller. If you like Ilona Andrews, Patricia Briggs, or Darynda Jones, you will love this sexy urban fantasy packed with magic, murder, and a smokin’ hot man on a motorcycle.
Callie Delgado volunteered to apprentice to Gem City’s Soul Charmer. He’d forced the soul magic ability into her, but now it was hers. She’d learn to control her body’s reaction to rented souls or go up in flames. Literally.
She exchanged her chance to escape the darker side of Gem City to save her brother. Now she needs to keep him sober and safe, try to mend family ties, and avoid the mobsters who have too much interest in the magic of borrowing souls.
But when bodies begin dropping at the Soul Charmer’s door, it’s up to Callie and her partner Derek (the aforementioned hot dude) to track down the person killing soul renters. The Charmer wants retribution, but Callie is determined to get justice even if it means putting herself directly in the sights of the murderer.
If she wants to stay on the Soul Charmer’s good side, Callie must confront her enemies head-on and learn to command rogue souls …and hope someone she loves doesn’t become the next victim.
Rogue Souls by Chelsea Mueller is out now, and the Kindle edition is on sale for just $2.99 for the next week. Find out more at ChelseaMueller.net.
Remember to subscribe to our podcast feed, find us on iTunes or on Stitcher.
Powered by WPeMatico